Asking the Right Questions in Your Consultation
Before you agree to let an attorney represent you in a personal injury claim, you should see if he or she offers a free consultation visit to discuss your options. Most personal injury firms do. This is a great opportunity for you to get to know your attorney.
Always remember that the interview is a two-way street. First, the attorney is trying to decide, from a practical perspective, whether or not your claim is one that makes sense to develop. Second, you are trying to decide whether you feel comfortable letting that particular attorney represent you. To help you make that decision, consider asking some of the following questions:
- “Does your law firm have experience working with this type of case?”
- “Assuming a settlement, who is responsible for case costs and expenses? Is the answer the same if the case does not work out?”
- “How soon after all of the information in my case is gathered will your firm issue a demand to the defendant?”
- “What happens if the defendant’s insurance company denies my claim?”
- “How confident are you of your ability to represent me in court if we have to file a lawsuit?”
Never let any attorney try to rush you into making a decision about representation. Whom you select to represent you is one of the most important choices you will make in your personal injury claim. On the other hand, you should not delay in meeting with an attorney as soon as your injuries allow. Every day that passes makes it harder to gather investigation items in your case. If you have suffered an injury and want to discuss your legal options with a personal injury attorney, call our office today.