CALL (888) 281-6991 FOR A FREE CONSULTATION WITH ONE OF OUR EXPERIENCED PRODUCT LIABILITY LAWYERS
Monster Energy maintains a position that their energy drinks are safe to consume as long as they are used in moderation, but the Food and Drug Administration begs to differ. According to recent reports, five people have died as a result of consuming the highly-caffeinated drinks. One young woman recently died after consuming two 24 ounce cans of the Monster Energy liquid within 24 hours. Studies show that the amount of caffeine in two Monster Energy drinks can be equated to the amount of caffeine in one dozen Coca-Colas. The 14-year-old went into cardiac arrest while watching a movie at her home. Her family has already filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Monster, which has every intention to resist the allegations.
Monster claims that they have sold over 8 billion drinks and only heard of five fatalities as a result of abusing the liquid. Monster also includes labels that warn consumers that they should not have more than one energy drink within 24 hours. Still, the family who is bereft of their teen says that Monster Energy drinks are dangerous and that the company should stop marketing the products. A coroner determined that the deceased 14-year-old died of “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.” While the Monster drink may have sparked the condition that caused her death, the young woman had a genetic illness that made her prone to the cardiac complications.
The FDA said that it investigates every report of injury or death that it receives in connection to Monster Energy drinks, but has not yet seen a reason to go after the company. Regardless of whether or not the FDA will announce an official warning, the bad press from the death of 14-year-old Anais Fournier has caused Monster’s sales to spiral downward. If you have been injured by consuming a dangerous energy drink, then contact a personal injury attorney at Zinda Law Group and start your quest to seek the compensation that you deserve!