Bicycle Accidents: Lawyers Advice and Statistics
Bicycling is an activity that continues to increase in popularity. More people are cycling for fun, exercise, sport, and using it as a means of transportation. However, this increase in cyclists sharing the road with motor vehicles has caused an increase in bicyclist injuries. It is estimated that the number of bicyclist injured rose to 49,000 in 2012, which was an increase of about 1,000 from 2011. Here are a few of the statistics regarding bicycle injuries.
• In 2012, there were 726 bicyclist deaths (NHTSA Traffic Safety Fact)
• Bicycle injuries increased 8.9% between 2001 and 2011
• The average age of a cyclist killed in a crash with a motor vehicle was 43 years old
• 88% of those killed were male
• 69% of those fatalities happened in urban areas
• 30% of fatalities occurred between 4:00 pm and 7:59 pm
There are many causes of bicycle accidents. When children are involved in a bicycle accident, the cause is usually the child doing tricks or losing control. However, for teen and adult cyclists, the accident typically involves a motor vehicle. Here are some of the common causes of a collision between a bicycle and motor vehicle.
1. Failure to look properly by the cyclist or motor vehicle driver
2. Cyclist entering the road from pavement
3. Motorist emerging into the path of the cyclist
4. Motor vehicle turning across the path of the cyclist
Oftentimes, the injuries sustained by a cyclist in a collision with a motor vehicle are severe, due to the lack of physical protection the cyclist has. The most common injuries sustained by cyclists in an accident with a car are:
• Head injuries
• Lacerations to the face and body
• Soft tissue damage
• Skeletal damage
The NHTSA has set forth guidelines for states in order to make cycling on the roads safer. Their program encourages safety education for both cyclists and drivers, and includes helmet education and roadway improvements, as well as educating drivers on how to “share the road”.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bicycle collision with a car, let the experienced bicycle accident attorneys at Zinda Law Group help. Our Personal Injury lawyers are knowledgeable and caring, and will work tirelessly for you and your case. Call us at (800) 863-5312. No Recovery. No Fees.
Where Zinda Law Group Practices:
As we’ve grown we expanded out west to El Paso, Texas subsequently into Arizona adding Tucson Personal Injury Lawyers to the firm, as well as adding offices in Colorado including Denver Personal Injury Lawyers and the surrounding cities such as Colorado Springs.
Types of Cases We Handle:
We also have a team of attorneys that have experience serious injury cases such as car accidents, wrongful death and truck accidents. We also have experience handling more complex cases such as gas explosions and drug injury cases, such as the Taxotere® Lawsuits.