Car Accident Checklist
Car accident victims may be entitled to legal damages. We will protect your rights and fight for you anywhere in the cities of greater Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Hutto, and Austin areas.
What to Do if You’re in a Car Accident
- Call 911 if there are any injuries. Request that police, ambulance and firefighters be deployed as appropriate.
- Seek immediate medical attention for any serious injuries.
- If there are no apparent injuries, call your local police station and report that there has been an accident. Request that a police officer come to the scene, investigate the accident and write an accident report. Take note of the accident report number and where and when you can obtain a copy of the report.
- Cooperate with the police investigation.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, preferably before the cars are moved. Be sure to include photos of the road conditions and damage done to all vehicles involved in the crash. Remember that many cell phones have camera capabilities.
- Write down the contact information for all of the other drivers involved in the accident, as well as for all of the witnesses to the accident, including their names, addresses and telephone numbers.
Accident Checklist Form
- Write down the license plate numbers, driver's license numbers, makes and models of the cars, insurance companies and insurance company policy information. If available, also make note of the insurance company’s phone number.
- Take notes about the accident. Take particular notice of the weather conditions, road conditions, any negligent driving that you noticed prior to the accident, any strange behavior that you noticed after the accident and any statements made by witnesses or others involved in the accident. Make a simple diagram the accident scene so that you don’t forget any of the details.
- Print and keep a copy of the forms on the following page in your car so that you easily keep a record of the accident details.
- Know where your car is being towed if you are unable to drive it after the accident.
- Remove all of your personal belongings from the car before it is towed.
- Seek medical treatment if you have any aches or pains that develop after the accident. Some injuries are not apparent on the day of the accident.
- Contact our car accident lawyers right away or email us by filling out the contact form.
What Not to Do If You are in a Car Accident
- Do not apologize for the accident, as this may be viewed as an admission of guilt.
- Do not admit to causing the accident or make any other statement that could later be used to support an argument that you caused the accident.
- Do not leave the accident scene without contact and other pertinent information from the other driver(s).
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have completed their investigation and given you permission to leave (unless you have serious injuries that require you to go to the emergency room).
- Do not discuss the case with the other driver.
- Do not speak with the insurance company without your attorney present.
- Do not sign anything from an insurance company without prior review by your Austin Personal Injury attorney.
Where Zinda Law Group Practices:
As we’ve grown we expanded out west to El Paso, Texas subsequently into Arizona adding Tucson Personal Injury Lawyers to the firm, as well as adding offices in Colorado including Denver Personal Injury Lawyers and the surrounding cities such as Colorado Springs.
Types of Cases We Handle:
We also have a team of attorneys that have experience serious injury cases such as car accidents, wrongful death and truck accidents. We also have experience handling more complex cases such as gas explosions and drug injury cases, such as the Taxotere® Lawsuits.