Car Accident FAQ

Car Accident FAQ

Each year across America, thousands of car accidents kill and injure thousands of people. Whenever an accident is caused by someone’s negligence, the law gives us a remedy. Victims and their families can file a personal injury lawsuit and hold the responsible party liable for a number of damages like pain and suffering, lost income and medical expenses.

After a serious car accident in Austin, you may be confused and stress-out. You may not know where to turn or what to do next. Victims often have a number of questions and they need answers. Below, we try to answer a few of them:


Q. Who can file a personal injury lawsuit after a car accident in which someone else was to blame?

A. Normally, the victim or their closest family should contact a lawyer.


Q. How much is my case worth?

A. You may be able to get compensatory damages, which include personal property damages, lost wages, pain & suffering, and future economic losses. In some cases, you can also get punitive damages.


Q. What are punitive damages?

A. These damages seek to punish the guilty party. Courts and judges may do this in cases where the guilty party was driving drunk, speeding excessively, incompetent, and other similar circumstances.


Q. Is there a statute of limitations in the state of Texas on car accident lawsuits?

A. Yes, you only have two years to file a suit, but often, the longer you wait, the more likely that evidence and witnesses will be lost. Waiting usually weakens your case.


Q. Do I have to pay filing fees, courts costs and other expenses to file a lawsuit?

A. Zinda Law Group PLLC works on a contingency fee basis. That means we pay all expenses up front and then later if we win or settle the lawsuit, you pay us a percentage of the settlement in exchange for our services and those fees.


Q. What if my car accident was caused by a defective or recalled automobile or component?

A. This is called a product liability claim and you can still file a personal injury lawsuit. If the accident was caused by defective tires, be sure not to throw those away or get rid of them.


Q. My accident was caused by a damaged roadway that was under construction but not clearly marked. Can I sue the city?

A. Yes, you may be able to do so. It’s best to speak to an attorney and discuss the circumstances.


Q. I was hit by a drunk driver who didn’t have any insurance. Can I still sue?

A. Yes, you can and should file a personal injury lawsuit. In cases like this, the courts are more apt to award both punitive and compensatory damages.


If you or a loved one has been involved in an Austin car accident, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit, but it’s important to speak with an attorney right away. You need to work with someone who understands the complexities of car accident claims.

The Austin car accident lawyers at Zinda Law Group PLLC have successfully represented many clients over the years in car accident claims. We possess the experience and knowledge to help you get the settlement you deserve. Call today to set up your free appointment and find out about your options and your legal rights.