In recent years, airbags have been the subject of much controversy. Meaning, they have, at times, failed to work properly, resulting in serious and sometimes life threatening injuries.
If you or someone you love was the victim of a malfunctioning airbag, it is critical that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. You may be entitled to money damages for the injuries you sustained, which is why you should contact Zinda Law Group now to learn more about how we can help you obtain the compensation you deserve. In the
How Airbags Work
A properly functioning air bag will not inflate unless you are involved in an accident - slamming your foot on the brakes should not cause the car to decelerate fast enough to trigger the deployment of an airbag. Here is how the process works:
- The airbag deployment process begins when your car decelerates rapidly due to a collision.
- An electronic chip detects the rapid deceleration and triggers a circuit.
- The circuit passes an electrical current through a heating element, which in turn ignites an explosive.
- The explosive burns rapidly and produces large amounts of inert gas, which begins to fill the airbag.
- The explosion caused by the expanding gas blows the cover off of the steering wheel (for a driver’s side airbag).
- The bag is fully inflated by the time your head hits it, a fraction of a second after the process begins.
- The impact of your head forcibly deflates the bag as air escapes from vents built into the bag.
This deflation reduces the force of the impact of your head against the airbag, preventing you from being injured.
Common Airbag Injuries
Even though air bags are designed to avoid injury, they sometimes cause injury either with or without a malfunction. Following is a list of some of the most common airbag injuries:
- Burns: the deployment of an airbag can cause burns on the chest, arms and face.
- Chest injuries: an exploding airbag can break bones in the chest or injure soft tissue.
- Eye injuries: airbag deployments sometimes cause partial or total blindness.
- Face injuries: an exploding airbag can break bones and injure soft tissue in your face.
- Neck/back injuries: airbag injuries often result in chronic pain.
Takata Corporation is a Japanese corporation that manufactures airbags for a number of different auto manufacturers. According to the American Association for Justice, its airbags eject shrapnel-like metal projectiles when they deploy, a defect that has caused at least six deaths and 160 injuries. Injuries have even been known to occur in low-impact crashes.
Although auto makers have recalled millions of Takata airbags, ongoing problems with the recall and repair process have been reported.
Airbag Personal Injury Claims
To win a personal injury lawsuit over an airbag injury, you must first decide who to sue. Depending on the facts of your case, you might file a lawsuit against the airbag manufacturer, the auto manufacturer, or a party that repaired your airbag.
Once in court, you must prove that a defect in the airbag caused your injury. Specifically, the defect must have been culpable in order to establish negligence. For example, to prove negligence in the design of an airbag, proving that the design was not perfect is normally not enough - you must establish that a better design was available.
If you win the lawsuit, you can recover monetary damages such as medical bills, financial (i.e., lost work time) and psychological (pain and suffering, for example).
Contact Zinda Law Group Now
If you were injured in the Austin area or by a party located in Austin, you need the services of an experienced and savvy Austin personal injury attorney immediately. Zinda Law Group is a local law firm that has won the trust of its clients as well as the general public time and time again. Unlike many law firms, it has been approved by the Better Business Bureau®.
Our personal injury attorneys will leave no stone unturned to ensure that you are fairly and fully compensated for your injury. Call us at 1-800-863-5312 to schedule a free initial consultation so that we can explain your rights and explore your legal options.
Where Zinda Law Group Practices:
As we’ve grown we expanded out west to El Paso, Texas subsequently into Arizona adding Tucson Personal Injury Lawyers to the firm, as well as adding offices in Colorado including Denver Personal Injury Lawyers and the surrounding cities such as Colorado Springs.
Types of Cases We Handle:
We also have a team of attorneys that have experience serious injury cases such as car accidents, wrongful death and truck accidents. We also have experience handling more complex cases such as gas explosions and drug injury cases, such as the Taxotere® Lawsuits.