Common Types Of Cruise Ship InjuriesLast updated on: September 15, 2022
Approximately 29.7 million passengers sailed on cruise ships in 2019, worldwide. With numbers as high as these, it’s no surprise that some passengers may suffer an injury while on board. An experienced attorney may be necessary to get you the compensation you deserve for your cruise ship injuries.
If you have suffered an injury while on a cruise, Zinda Law Group may be able to help you seek the maximum amount of compensation available. Zinda Law Group cruise injury lawyers have the experience and resources necessary to evaluate your case and advise you of your legal rights. Contact us today at (800) 863 5312 for your 100% free consultation. You do not pay us unless we are successful in winning your case.
What are Common Causes of Accidents on Cruises?
Passengers may suffer a wide range of injuries while onboard a cruise ship. These injuries may be caused in several different ways; whether by the negligence of an employee or by a failure to properly maintain the vessel’s equipment. Examples of common causes of accidents on cruises include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Slip and fall accidents are very common on cruise ships and may be caused by a variety of factors. For instance, wet walkways may become slick and subsequently cause a slip and fall accident.
- Sexual Assault or Battery: Unfortunately, the risk of sexual assault or battery is very real when onboard a commercial cruise line. In fact, 5 years prior to the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010, sexual and other physical assaults on cruise ships were the leading crimes investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigations with regard to cruise vessel incidents.
- Medical Malpractice: Unfortunately, doctors and nurses on cruise ships may be negligent in their treatment of the passengers, which may lead to a medical malpractice claim.
- Injury from On-Board Activities: Cruise ships boast more amenities and activities than one may even imagine could fit on a single ship. While these activities are meant to entertain the passengers, some also come with a serious risk of injury. For example, a passenger may drown in an on-board swimming pool.
- Injury from On-Shore Excursions: A cruise ship passenger may also be injured while on a shore excursion. Examples of potentially dangerous on-shore activities include parasailing, scuba diving, and zip-lining.
- Illnesses: Outbreaks of certain illnesses, most commonly gastrointestinal illnesses, are not uncommon on cruise ships. For instance, norovirus, a commonly reported gastrointestinal illness on cruise ships, is highly contagious and may cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Suffering from an illness or injury while on vacation can be a frustrating or even traumatic experience, especially if your damages were caused by another’s negligence or intentional actions. If you have been injured while on a cruise and need a lawyer, contact Zinda Law Group today.
Common Injuries That Cruise Passengers Suffer
Depending on the type of accident you have endured, you may be suffering from a wide variety of injuries. Common injuries that cruise passengers may suffer include:
- Drowning or near drowning
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones or fractures
- Concussions or other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and scrapes
- Psychological injuries
- Wrongful death.
In order to seek compensation for these injuries, you must file a personal injury claim. This will often require many steps of preparation and reviewing of evidence to sustain a claim, meaning it’ll take a professional attorney with injury experience to deliver just compensation.
What Happens If You Get Hurt On A Cruise Ship?
No matter the size of the cruise ship, each one will maintain a medical facility, although the services the facility provides will vary depending on the specific ship. For instance, a cruise ship with a high passenger capacity may provide more services compared to a smaller one. If you’ve been injured while on a cruise ship, you will likely be brought to their medical facility. These facilities may be able to provide you with antibiotics or perform x-rays; however, with life-threatening injuries, you may be evacuated from the ship.
If you have been injured while on a cruise ship and are subsequently facing hefty medical expenses, contact Zinda Law Group today. Our experienced team can help you seek the maximum amount of compensation for your physical injuries, emotional distress, and more.
Need Help? Contact Zinda Law Group Today
If you have any other questions regarding the causes of common cruise ship accidents, contact Zinda Law Group as soon as possible. Our attorneys have ample experience in helping victims get the compensation they deserve for their injuries, no matter if you slipped and fell from slick walkways, injured in a pool, or harmed by medical malpractice.
Call a Zinda Law Group personal injury attorney today at (800) 863 5312 to set up your free initial consultation. Further, you do not have to worry about paying us a thing unless we are able to win you compensation in your case. That is our “No Win, No Fee Guarantee.”
Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.