How Can My Own Car Insurance Help Me After a Wreck?

Last updated on: March 19, 2013


After being in a car accident that isn’t your fault, our personal injury attorneys at Zinda Law Group understand the notion that you don’t want to go through you own insurance company if you didn’t do anything wrong. Furthermore, we recognize that our clients do not want their own car insurance premiums to rise. However, it’s extremely important to know exactly what type of car insurance coverage you have on your vehicle because you may already be paying premiums for coverage that could assist you while not raising your premiums.

For example, you may have what’s call Personal Injury Protection (PIP) on your car insurance. PIP is what’s called no-fault coverage. You can use the PIP payments whether or not the wreck is your fault or not. PIP covers your medical bills (and any passenger in your car) up to the coverage amount, and up to 80% of lost wages. Oftentimes, PIP can serve as a help with your deductibles or supplement the lost income you’ve sustained as a result of your injuries.

Additionally, when individuals get into a wreck, they oftentimes have difficulty getting in contact with the opposing party’s insurance company. In the meantime, they are without a rental car and their vehicle is stuck at a storage facility while getting charged additional fees. Sometimes your own insurance coverage will allow you to have your car insurance company handle the rental car and property portion of your claim, and then subrogate against the responsible insurance company. After your insurance company takes care of the property damage, they’ll spend their own time and resources (instead of clients doing it) going after the responsible party and getting paid back.

There are several other ways in which using the car insurance coverage you’ve purchased can assist you after a car accident, even if the crash isn’t your fault. To answer any questions you have about your insurance coverage please contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney at Zinda Law Group for a free consultation.