What to Do If You’re Hit by an Uninsured Driver

There are thousands of motor vehicle accidents in the United States every day. Some of these are relatively minor—perhaps resulting in only some light bumper damage. Others, however, are more serious, with drivers or passengers suffering permanent injuries or even death.

All states require motorists to have automobile insurance, which covers some or all of the expenses associated with property damage and personal injuries in a car accident. But what happens if you are hit by an uninsured driver?

If you or a loved one has been hurt in an automobile crash with an uninsured driver, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with a skilled Dallas car accident lawyer.

What Are My Options?

If you are involved in an automobile accident, you may not even be aware that the driver who caused your injuries and damaged your car is uninsured. If the other driver is refusing to exchange insurance and contact information with you, this may be a red flag that the driver does not have insurance. It is best to immediately call the police after an accident so that law enforcement officers may look up the driver’s information to determine if that driver has current insurance on the vehicle. The officer will also complete a police report that will be useful throughout your case.

You should also contact your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. Let your insurance agent know that you were hit by an uninsured driver. When an insured driver is hit by an uninsured driver, the insured driver’s own insurance policy generally covers the damages that result from the accident. However, the amount covered depends on the type of insurance and the policy limits the injured driver has.

If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance will cover your expenses if you are involved in an accident with a driver who carries no liability insurance.

If you have underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance will cover expenses that the at-fault driver’s insurance does not cover—that is, if the at-fault driver’s insurance limits are not sufficient to cover your damages.

Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?

After you file a police report and notify your insurance company about your accident with the uninsured driver, you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney right away. Your accident lawyer will be able to discuss your claim with the insurance company and attempt to work out a fair settlement on your behalf.

If there is not enough insurance coverage available for your claim, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit. For example, if you have $200,000 in medical bills, lost wages, and property damage, and you only carry $100,000 in uninsured coverage, you would need to sue the at-fault driver for the remaining $100,000.

Your personal injury lawyer will draft a complaint and file it with your local courthouse. The at-fault driver will have a specified amount of time to respond to the lawsuit. You and your accident attorney may be able to negotiate a settlement with the at-fault driver, or it may become necessary to go to mediation or trial to resolve the matter.

Being involved in an accident is stressful and frustrating, but by following these steps and working closely with your personal injury attorney throughout the claim, you will significantly improve the odds of a favorable outcome in your case.

How Zinda Law Group Can Help

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, the personal injury attorneys at Zinda Law Group have the experience and resources necessary to help you seek the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at 800-863-5312 for a free and confidential consultation about your case. Meetings with attorneys by appointment only.