Deceptive Trade Act Lawyers in Dallas
What do fake testimonials, pictures of the wrong merchandise, and misrepresentations of price all have in common? They are each deceptive trade practices. Most consumer transactions are covered by the Deceptive Trade Practices-Consumer Protection Act.
The DTPA provides protection for a wide range of crimes as its definition of a deceptive act is pretty broad, "false, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful." Any consumer (corporation, government entity, partnership or individual) can file under the DTPA.
How do you know if you have been the victim of a DTPA violation? While the definition of a 'deceptive trade practice' is broad, there are many specific components that usually point to this crime:
- Using the term "corporation" or "incorporated" when a business is not incorporated
- Taking advantage of a disaster (under Chapter 418 of the Government Code) by selling or leasing fuel, food, or medicine at an excessive price
- Not disclosing information concerning goods or services at the time of a transaction
- Distant forum abuse: making a promissory note payable in a city far away from where a consumer resides
- Representing that work or services were performed, when they were not
- Multi-level distributorships or "pyramid sales plans"
- Saying that a warranty involves rights in which it does not
- A chain-referral sales device, in which a consumer pays an unreasonable price but is told he/she will receive a price reduction for each prospective buyer he/she recruits
- Fraudulently advertising a sale saying a person is going out of business
- Reducing the number of miles on an odometer gauge
- Not disclosing the price of a warranty separately
- Misrepresenting an employer in the terms of a purchase contract
- Knowingly making false or misleading statements of fact concerning parts or repair service
- Misrepresentation or false statements about a written contract
- Misleading advertisements about the reasons for price reductions or the amount of price reductions
- The "bait and switch" technique: advertising a product at a very low price when the seller only has a very limited supply
- Advertising goods or services with the intent to not sell them as advertised
- Disparaging the business of another through false or misleading facts
- Representing goods/services to be of a particular quality when they are not
- Representing goods to be new when they are second-hand
- Claiming that goods/services come with a sponsorship or benefits when they do not
- Stating that a product comes from a certain geographic region when it does not
- Causing confusion regarding the relationship between the seller of the goods/services and the provider
- Causing confusion as to the source, sponsorship or certification of goods/services
- Passing off services or goods as those of another
Awards & Recognition
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA BY THE NATIONAL TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (2016-2020)
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA BY THE NATIONAL TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (2017-2020)
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA (2016-2020), JOE CAPUTO (2016 – 2020) & BURGESS WILLIAMS (2016-2017) BY THE NATIONAL TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
LIFETIME MEMBERS JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA, JOE CAPUTO, BURGESS WILLIAMS, NEIL SOLOMON, & JASON ALDRIDGE
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA (2009, 2011-2012, 2014-2021), JOE CAPUTO (2019-2021), BURGESS WILLIAMS (2019-2020), NEIL SOLOMON (2020-2021), & CHRISTINA HAGEN (2021) BY SUPER LAWYERS (A THOMPSON REUTERS COMPANY)
MEMBERS JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA (2017-2020), JOE CAPUTO (2019-2020), BURGESS WILLIAMS (2019-2020), NEIL SOLOMON (2019-2020), COLE GUMM (2019-2020), CHRISTINA HAGEN (2020) & BRENDAN MCQUAID (2020)
LIFETIME MEMBERS JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA & JOE CAPUTO
AWARDED TO ZINDA LAW GROUP (2016-2019) BY THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA IN 2015, 2016, 2017, AND 2020
AWARDED TO JOE CAPUTO (2016-2019) BY THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS
AWARDED TO ZINDA LAW GROUP IN 2018 BY INC.
Awarded to John C (Jack) Zinda (2021) by the American Association for Justice
I did not know what to do. I had never been hurt in a wreck before and this was a major accident that was not my fault. I reached out to Zinda Law Group and they were fantastic, answered all my questions, got me help immediately, and took care of everything!!
There comes a time when you need someone in your corner that you can trust. Our time came when we knew we needed the advice and counsel of an attorney. The day we walked into Zinda Law Group we knew we were covered.
There is a reason why this law firm has a 5 star rating. My experience with personal injury attorney Joe Caputo and all of the staff at Zinda Law Group has been excellent... I would definitely recommend Zinda Law Group.
Maria Ciara-Former Client
This is a really great firm! They settled my personal injury case in a year. Throughout the whole process, they were keeping in touch with me and helping me get the best treatment possible. They honestly know what they are doing. It was a pleasure working with these guys.
Everyone was so professional and was very interested in helping me with my issues. They were very upfront and honest about what I could expect.
I contacted Zinda Law Group after getting nowhere on my own with a personal injury case. I am so thankful I did. They took it off my plate and handled everything from appointments, to phone calls, and emails.
Seek compensation today!
If you were the victim of a DTPA violation, you could be eligible to collect monetary compensation and equitable relief. Texas’ state statute prohibits 25 specific practices, and also covers insurance violations, unconscionable acts and breach of warranty.
Because the laws concerning deceptive trade practices can be complex and intricate, if you believe you have been taken advantage of, you should contact a personal injury attorney from Zinda Law Group immediately. We will take a look at the details of your case and help you evaluate whether or not you could be eligible to collect damages.
When you buy something from someone or shop at a company, you expect to receive a quality product and to be treated with honesty and integrity. When individuals and companies do not maintain their ethical character, consumers can hold them responsible.
What are you waiting for? If you have been victimized by a deceptive trade act, we are here to help! Entrust us with the details of your case, and we will walk you through the applicable laws and what you can expect throughout the legal process. We have the knowledge you are looking for and are prepared to assist you in any way that we can. Give us a call today!