How to File a Dog Bite Report in Houston
If you have been bitten or attacked by a dog, it is important to report the behavior to the proper authority. Depending on your jurisdiction, reporting a dog bite may be required by law. The attack may not have been just an isolated incident, and the dog could continue to present a threat to others.
Once you have obtained the medical treatment you need after a dog bite, you should file a dog bite report with local animal control. If you were bitten or attacked in Houston, you will need to file your report with the BARC Animal Shelter.
You can submit a dog bite report in the following ways:
- Dialing 3-1-1 or calling the organization at (713) 837-0311 during normal business hours; or
- Visiting their office: 3200 Carr Street, Houston, Texas 77026
The Benefits of Filing a Dog Bite Report
After you have filed your dog bite report with the City of Houston, BARC representatives will investigate your complaint and, in most cases, make an official record of their findings. This record could prove to be incredibly beneficial to you if you decide to pursue compensation for your injuries by filing an insurance claim or a lawsuit.
A dog bite report is often able to:
- Detail what the dog’s owner and witnesses remember about your incident: What the dog’s owner and witnesses say happened can influence your decision about whether to seek compensation for your injuries from the dog’s owner. You are also able to learn which authorities a witness spoke with and whether the witness would be helpful or harmful to your case.
- Indicate any previous incidents involving this particular animal: A dog bite report can also show if there have been previous reports of aggression from this animal. This will not only be useful in a dog bite lawsuit but also help authorities determine if this particular animal should be euthanized because of the danger it presents to the community.
- Provide a warning to others in the community: Every dog can attack a human being, but those with a history of previous attacks should be dealt with cautiously by community members.
Common Injuries from Dog Bites
Many people consider dogs to be “man’s best friend,” but the truth is that they can inflict serious harm on an individual. While such breeds as pit bulls, German Shepherds, and Rottweilers are perceived as being especially aggressive toward humans, any breed of dog is capable of biting or attacking someone.
Dog bites and attacks can result in one or more of the following injuries:
- Tissue Loss
- Fractured Bones
- Muscle strain or sprain
- Permanent disfigurement
- Infections such as rabies and tetanus
In addition, dog bite victims–especially younger ones–are often left with psychological issues like post-traumatic stress disorder, severe anxiety, sleeping difficulties, or a debilitating fear of animals. The effects of an animal attack can haunt a victim for months, years, or even the rest of their life.
Get Help from Our Houston Dog Bite Lawyers
At Zinda Law Group, our Houston dog bite attorneys have helped countless accident victims get their lives back on track after suffering an injury. We have the knowledge and resources necessary to help you build the strongest case possible and pursue maximum compensation for medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, and much more.
Our firm also believes that a dog bite victim should never have to worry about being able to afford excellent legal representation. That is why we offer 100% free consultations, and why you will pay nothing unless we win your case. That’s our No Fee Guarantee.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a dog, call Zinda Law Group today at (800) 863-5312 to receive your free consultation with one of our experienced dog bite lawyers in Houston.
Meetings with attorneys by appointment only.