Dog Owner Responsibility
Texas Dog Bite Laws
In Texas legal liability for a dog bite is based on one of the following circumstances:
- The owner knew that the dog had bitten someone previously or had the dangerous propensity to bite a person,
- The accident was caused by the negligence of the person handling the dog,
- The accident was caused by a violation of a leash law, prohibition against dogs trespassing or running at large, or a similar animal control law, or
- The injury was caused intentionally by the person handling the dog.
- If the dog owner was not acting as an “ordinarily prudent” dog owner would and that led to the attack they could be held responsible under a theory called “negligence.”
*There is a particular form of negligence that is referred to as “negligence per se.” This occurs when the person controlling or owning the dog breaks the local municipal, city or county law.
If you or a loved one has suffered a dog bite in Texas you should contact the experienced dog bite lawyers of Zinda Law Group.