What to Do If You Suffer a Personal Injury
- Get Medical Treatment: The most important thing is taking care of yourself. Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, go to a doctor to get everything checked out.
- Get Witness Information: If you are able, get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses. If/when you file a personal injury claim, witness testimony can be an important piece of your case.
- Document Everything: Keep track of the details of the accident, any treatment you receive, and symptoms you experience. Take pictures of bodily injuries and property damage. Keep a log of dates, times, doctors, and prescription dosages.
- Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer: A study conducted by the Insurance Research Council found on average, injury victims who hire a lawyer receive a 3.5 times higher settlement than those injury victims who do not hire a lawyer. The personal injury attorneys of Zinda Law Group work on contingency (you only pay if we win your case) and offer free consultations. There is no risk to you to consult an attorney and it can ensure you get the insurance settlement you deserve.
- Be Careful Who You Talk To: The only people that you should talk to about your accident and injuries are your lawyer, your doctors, and very close family members. You are not required to give a statement to the opposing insurance company. They will look for any way possible to decrease your settlement, so defer communication with the insurance company to your lawyer. Also be very mindful about posting anything to social media. Any indication you aren’t as injured as you claim can damage your case.