Homeowners Insurance Claims
Homeowner Insurance Claims in Midland
Whether you experience damage to your home from a flash flood, hail, or an electrical storm, you want your homeowner’s insurance policy to be honored. And you want your claim to be paid promptly. Getting your claim paid promptly can be just a matter of doing your homework before a loss occurs. The following tips may help you get your insurance claim settled quicker.
- Keep a home inventory – take a home inventory can be done by taking photographs or using a video camera. Document everything including the condition of your home inside and out, any improvements you have made, plus all of your personal property. Photos and videos can serve as proof of condition and ownership while preserving your memory on all of the little things that you are likely to forget about. While these little things may seem unimportant, they can add up really fast when you need to replace them.
- Keep all of your proof in one place – keep all of your papers, photographs, videos and receipts in a file folder, fireproof box, or a safe deposit box at the bank. This will help you to not only keep them safe, but it will also make them easier for you to find when you need them the most.
- Insure your property at replacement cost – there are huge differences between the original value of an item versus the replacement cost. Always insure your home and personal property at replacement cost to avoid dealing with depreciation costs or trying to negotiate a better value.
- Carry special riders on your policy – if you have furs, jewelry, or artwork you may want to consider purchasing extra coverage for them on your homeowner's policy. An insurance rider will provide for the replacement cost for items that are under-insured or not specifically covered under your policy
- Maintain your home – keep your home in tiptop shape. By spending money now to keep your home in good repair you can avoid costly lawsuits for personal injuries or expensive deductibles for damage due to failing systems.
What You Can Do After You Have Experienced a Loss
To protect your claim, you will want to do the following:
- Prevent further damage by making temporary repairs
- Contact your insurance agent call as soon as you can
- Collect evidence of your damage with photos or video
- Keep your receipts
- Get estimates from reputable sources
- Keep it all together in a file folder
- Keep a log of all conversations with your adjuster always noting the date, time and what you spoke about. Keep it in your file folder with everything else.
- Contact a knowledgeable attorney to help you navigate the claims process
Zinda Law Group Will Fight For You
If you have experienced a loss but the insurance company is dragging their feet, you are going to need an experienced attorney to get the claims process moving. The attorneys at Zinda Law Group have the experience and expertise you need to get a fair settlement and we promise to go the extra mile for you. Call today for a free no-fee consultation at (800) 863-5312 and talk with one of our attorneys about your claim. We want to help you.