Drug Injury Attorney in Plano
Drug injuries related to medical mistakes, the over-prescribing of drugs and pharmacy error kill more people in the U.S. every year then car accidents do. Nearly 100,000 people are given the wrong medication as a result of medical error every year with many of these errors resulting in injury or death. Common medical errors include:
- Prescribing incorrect drugs
- Dispensing improper dosages
- Dangerous drug combinations
- Receiving someone’s prescribed medication
- Failing to review medical history for known drug allergies
The Food and Drug Administration’s Adverse Events Reporting System (AERS) collects incidence reports related to drug injuries within the United States. The AERS reported more than 471,000 drug-related injuries in 2010 alone. Many of these injuries were serious, life-threatening injuries requiring hospitalization with many resulting in disability, congenital anomalies and other serious outcomes. Drug induced death is epidemic in the United States, and nearly 83,000 deaths are attributed to drug injuries from FDA approved drugs every year.
Causes of Drug-Related Injuries
Whether by over-prescribing drugs, drug manufacturer error, pharmacy error, or over the counter drugs, drug related injury and death rates have increased dramatically in the United States.
- Over the Counter Drugs - Over the counter drugs injure and kill thousands yearly. In fact, more than 76,000 Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAIDS) related hospitalizations occur yearly with 7,600 resulting in death. In addition, acetaminophen-related liver injuries result in more than 56,000 emergency room visits and 26,000 hospitalizations yearly.
- Over-Prescribing - As doctors prescribe more pain medications and opiates, drug overdose rates from prescription drugs have tripled in the U.S. since 1990. Patients rely upon their doctors to keep them safe by telling them about risks that are related to prescribed drugs, but doctors are doing a poor job of that. They often fail to take the time to adequately inform their patients of the risks, side effects or life-threatening complications that could occur and rely upon pharmacists to impart this information to their patients.
- Pharmacy Errors - Medication errors at the pharmacy also cause many drug injuries. Injuries can result from dispensing the wrong medication, drug name mix ups, failure to not possible drug interactions and side effects, and improperly dispensed dosages.
- FDA Approved Drugs – There are many drugs currently on the market that have serious side effects, including death, even though they have been FDA approved. With nearly 83,000 deaths every year, it appears the FDA needs to do a better job in the approval process.
Call Zinda Law Group Today
If you have been injured as a result of a pharmacy, medical, or manufacturer error, the attorneys at the law firm of Zinda Law Group can help you. We have the experience and expertise you need to get your claim paid. Our attorneys have years of experience handling drug injury claims and we are well versed in negotiating fair settlements on behalf of our clients. Call us today at (800) 863-5312 if you want to get the medical care that you deserve, plus your lost wages and just compensation for your injuries. The call and consultation are free, so call today and let us help you.