Transvaginal Mesh Injury Lawyers in Richardson
Although there is ample evidence demonstrating the risks of transvaginal mesh, the surgeries continue to take place. The FDA even delivered a warning to the public stating that transvaginal mesh does not appear to provide any benefit over other means of treatment for Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP).
Although transvaginal mesh was originally developed to be a surgical improvement, it has turned out to be quite the opposite. The following facts illustrate the many and serious dangers of mesh:
- According to the FDA, complications associated with transvaginal mesh are “not rare” and “may expose patients to greater risk” than repairs performed without transvaginal mesh
- Patients may have to endure multiple surgeries to remove the device, in some cases it cannot be removed at all
- Public Citizen has called upon the FDA and manufacturers of transvaginal mesh to recall these devices
- In 2007, there was a transvaginal mesh trial consisted of 65 women who had been diagnosed with pelvis organ prolapse. However, after two years, the trial was banned due to the adverse effects experienced by the participants.
- In 2010, 10% (7,500) of the 75,000 transvaginal mesh prolapse surgeries that were performed resulted in failure
- A common problem is transvaginal mesh erosion, or mesh extrusions. These occur when the rough edges of the synthetic mesh cuts through the vaginal lining and nearby organs
- Mesh erosion may result in bleeding, infection, organ perforation, urinary problems and pain during intercourse can result.
- Mesh tends to contract or shrink and this can cause vaginal shortening, tightening and pain.
Other injuries, according to the FDA, include:
- Neuromuscular problems
- Vaginal scarring
- Emotional problems
- Recurrent prolapses
Lawsuits that Have Been Filed
As of May 2012, there have been a staggering number of lawsuits filed against transvaginal mesh manufacturers:
- 313 cases against Boston Scientific
- 457 cases against Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon division
- 529 cases against AMS
- 740 cases against C.R. Bard
Get Zinda Law Group on your side today!
If you or a loved one has undergone a transvaginal mesh operation and has experienced any of the adverse effects, contact a personal injury attorney immediately to learn about your rights. Call Zinda Law Group today to get the qualified representation you deserve!