18 Wheeler Accident Lawyers in Round Rock
Truck accidents can be the most dangerous and damaging accident on the road since 18-wheelers can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. This is a real problem for those in the state of Texas since it is one of the top five states in the U.S. for truck accidents. In fact, in 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported more than 296,000 trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds were involved in accidents in the United States with 70,000 accidents resulting in injuries along with 3,380 deaths. The saddest part is more than 87% of those accidents were attributed to driver error and likely could have been avoided.
Driver error is the main cause of truck accidents in the U.S. The reasons for driver error are many, but listed below are some of the more common causes of 18-wheeler accidents due to driver error.
- Aggressive driving
- Inadequate observation
- Lack of familiarity with surroundings
- Overloaded or improperly loaded cargo
- Over the counter drug use
- Inadequate training
Another reason for truck accidents is negligence on the part of the driver with much of this related to defective equipment, distracted driving, fatigue, and intoxication.
- Defective equipment – 29% of all truck accidents are the result of faulty brakes or failure to maintain other equipment such as tires or horns
- Distracted driving – using cell phones for talking or texting while driving, or playing with the radio or other equipment, and reading maps leads to accidents
- Fatigue – driving while tired can cause accidents since many drivers push their physical limits to get their load in on time
- Intoxication – driving while intoxicated, whether intoxicated by drugs or by alcohol, can result in accidents
Avoiding 18-Wheeler Accidents
If you are sharing the road with an 18-wheeler and would like to avoid sharing an accident with them, we recommend you give these trucks ample respect. This respect can go a long way to keeping you and your passengers safe. We suggest you keep the following safety tips in mind when sharing the road with 18-wheelers.
- Never drive in front of a truck and then suddenly apply your brakes – these trucks are moving great mass and weight and may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting you
- Stay out of their blind spot and make sure your vehicle is always visible to them
- Make it easy for a truck to pass you – don’t try to outrun them
- Never tailgate a truck – not only are you in their blind spot, but you won’t be able to see what is up ahead
- Never pass a truck on the right hand side as this can put you in their blind spot when they make their move back into the right lane
- Give all trucks enough time and space to make stops and turns and remember, these trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds and can easily crush any car that gets in their way
Get the Help of an Experienced Attorney
If you have been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, the attorneys at Zinda Law Group can help you. Call (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation and speak with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney today.