Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Round Rock, Texas
Bicycling has always been a favorite form of recreation for children, but in recent years more adults have migrated to cycling for the exercise benefits and as an inexpensive form of transportation. In fact, bicycle riding is an increasingly popular form of recreation for people of all ages and this is true in the Austin and Round Rock area too. Unfortunately, that increase in popularity results in an increase in bicycle related injuries, particularly those related to collisions with motor vehicles.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that 515,000 sustained bicycle-related injuries requiring emergency department care took place in 2010 and another 800 bicyclists were killed. More than half of these injuries and deaths involved children and adolescents under the age of 20.
While some motor vehicle/bike collisions result in less serious injuries such as road rash, contusions and lacerations, many of these accidents are responsible for the most serious injuries and deaths. Some of the more common injuries that occur in a motor vehicle/bike collisions include:
- Road rash
- Swelling and bruising
- Sprains and dislocations
- Fractures and broken bones
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What to do if you are In an Accident
Accidents happen, but taking care to avoid injuries is important. Bicyclists need to be aware of road conditions and debris. They should also be well versed in current traffic regulations because bicyclists on the public roadways must follow the same traffic rules as motorists do. It is also advisable to wear a helmet and bright reflective clothing whenever possible. In turn, motorists should always be on the lookout for cyclist and yield them the right of way whenever possible.
Should you be involved in an accident, it is important to
- Seek medical attention if you are injured
- File a police report if the police do not come to the scene of the accident
- Get witness names and phone numbers whenever possible
- Take photos of the scene if you can do so safely
- Save your damaged property or take photographs
- Have a bike shop estimate and document the damage
- Report the accident to your car insurance since it may be a covered occurrence
- If you received a ticket, don’t pay it or go to court before talking with an attorney
- Do not post anything about your accident to social networks
- Always remember that anything you say to the insurance adjuster, the other party, the police or the courts can (and likely will) be used against you
Have You Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
While many bicycle accidents can result in injuries such as road rash, bruising and dislocations, they frequently result in serious injuries that include broken bones, organ damage, lost limbs, traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries, and even death. The attorneys at Zinda Law Group have successfully represented many victims involved in motor vehicle/bicycle accidents and we can help you get the medical care that you need and the compensation that you deserve. Call us today at (800) 863-5312 for a free, no-fee consultation. There is no fee if we don’t win, so call us today and let us help you.