I’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident but Don’t Have Medical Insurance

1096 Reviews

If you’ve been injured in a car accident but don’t have medical insurance, you might be wondering how you will pay for any medical treatment you need. It’s possible that you could obtain compensation for your medical expenses and other damages if you successfully settle a personal injury claim or win a lawsuit against those responsible for your injuries. However, it could take months or even years before you receive that compensation, and your expensive bills will not wait. 

If someone else is at fault for your accident, you may think that that individual or their insurance company should pay the medical bills and other expenses you have incurred as a result of the crash.  Unfortunately, the process is far more complicated. You are the one who is responsible for your medical expenses as they are incurred, even if someone else is clearly to blame for the wreck. While you might eventually be compensated for damages by the at-fault party or their insurance company, they are not required to pay for your expenses as you accrue them. 

Because you don’t have immediate access to recovery to pay your medical bills, you can experience even more severe hardship if you don’t have health insurance.  However, there are some ways to pay at least part of your medical expenses. 

Auto Insurance

In Texas, you are required to carry automobile insurance if you operate a vehicle on public roadways.  If you’ve been in an accident, it is important to review your policy to determine what is covered. Depending on your coverage, you might be able to recoup all or a portion of your medical expenses and other damages. 

If your policy includes coverage for medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP), you will likely be able to make a claim for any medical expenses that are related to your treatment of the injuries you sustained in the accident. Though medical payment coverage will include only medical bills, PIP will cover both medical expenses and up to 80 percent of any lost wages you incur as a result of the accident.


Medicaid is a state-run federal health insurance program that provides health insurance to low-income individuals. If you’ve been in an accident and lose your job or health insurance as a result, it is possible that you will qualify for Medicaid.  If so, the program may pay for your medical expenses. 

Making Payment Arrangements

Many health care providers (HCP) who treat or work with car accident victims will understand that some of their patients do not have health insurance.  In these instances, you may be able to work with your HCP to arrange a deferred payment plan, which typically involves an HCP agreeing to treat a patient in exchange for a promise to pay the bills from the proceeds of the accident claim verdict or settlement. An attorney who has experience dealing with these situations can work with you and your HCP to arrange a payment structure that works for everyone involved. 

Experienced and Dedicated San Antonio Car Accident Lawyers

Are you feeling forced to settle for a low offer in your car accident case just to pay off your medical bills? You need a skilled personal injury lawyer on your side who will pursue damages from the at-fault party and work with your HCP to ease the burdens of expensive medical costs.

At Zinda Law Group, our team of San Antonio car accident attorneys has extensive knowledge and experience in handling these types of cases.  We work on a contingency basis, which means you pay nothing unless we win. Contact us today at (800) 863-5312 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.

Meetings with attorneys by appointment only.