Where Do I Find My Crash Report?

Last updated on: October 4, 2022

A car accident can change your life in an instant. In addition to physical pain, accident victims are often left with emotional and financial burdens that can affect their lives for months or years to come.

If you have been injured in a car accident in Austin, TX, you may want to pursue compensation for damages through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. An official crash report documenting the details of the wreck could prove to be a key piece of evidence for your claim.

If you have been involved in a car wreck, contact us today at (800) 863 5312 for your 100% free consultation. You will not pay us anything unless we are successful in winning your case.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Police Accident Report in Austin, Texas?

At the scene of the accident, the first thing you should do is ensure anyone with serious injuries gets immediate medical treatment. Your physician will also be able to create official documentation that can help with your injury claim.

If you are able to stay at the scene, your next step should be to call the Austin Police Department, and officers will arrive to take down all the necessary information.

The police officer should document:

  • The date, time, and location of the crash.
  • Any potential causes of the collision.
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of those involved.
  • Statements from passengers and other witnesses.
  • A description of any injuries and property damage that resulted.
  • Present conditions at the crash scene; ie. weather, traffic, construction. 

The department will make the report available later, and you can call the Austin Police Department Report Sales at 512-974-5499 to check on the status of your crash report.

In Person

Once the crash report is available, you can purchase a copy of it in person at 715 East 8th Street, Austin TX 78701. 


You can also request a copy online by visiting the LexisNexis Police Reports website.


Lastly, you can obtain a crash report by mail from Police Headquarters. To get your copy by mail, you will need to send a stamped envelope with a check in the amount of $6 made payable to Austin Police Department Reports Sales. The mailing address is PO Box 689001, Austin TX 78768.

If you have any questions regarding how to get a copy of your police accident report, get in touch with our Austin car accident lawyers at Zinda Law Group today. 

How a Crash Report Can Help You Recover Compensation

The primary way to seek compensation for damages related to a car accident is by filing an injury claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. It is important to remember, however, that an insurance company will not be looking to make you whole again. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses that protect their bottom line by paying out as little as they can for claims.

Once you file a claim with an insurance company, a claims adjuster will be assigned to your case and subsequently investigate the accident. Although adjusters often attempt to cast doubt on aspects of a crash report, in most cases, your report will serve as a key document that can help verify your account of the accident.

Before speaking with the insurance company, it is in your best interest to consult with a personal injury attorney. An experienced car accident lawyer will serve as an invaluable advocate for you throughout the negotiation process; being privy to all the methods required to help you seek full damages for the injuries you suffered.

If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, your car accident attorney will be able to file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.

What if the Authorities Didn’t Complete a Crash Report? 

In certain circumstances, such as when a crash is very minor or there are no injuries to report, the authorities may not be required to complete an accident report. Prior to September 1, 2017, you would have had to complete a Driver’s Crash Report (Form CR-2), where you, as the driver, would complete the necessary information. 

However, as of January 1, 2019, the retention period has expired for all CR-2 forms. As a result, the Texas Department of Transportation no longer keeps the forms on their records and no longer hosts or provides copies of the forms. Instead, drivers are referred to visit txdot.gov and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.  

Need Help? Get in Touch With Our Austin Car Accident Lawyers 

At Zinda Law Group, our Austin car accident attorneys have helped countless crash victims get their lives back on track after suffering an injury. We have the knowledge and resources necessary to help you build the strongest case possible and pursue maximum compensation for medical bills, property damage, loss of income due to missed work, pain and suffering, and much more.

Our firm also believes that an auto accident victim should never have to worry about their ability to afford excellent legal representation. That is why we offer 100% free consultations, and why you will pay nothing unless we win your case. That’s our “No Fee Guarantee.” Call a Zinda Law Group personal injury attorney today at (800) 863 5312.  


Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.