CALL (800) 863-5312 TO SPEAK WITH GEORGETOWN DOG BITE ATTORNEYS FOR FREE
For many families, dogs are an important source of companionship, even becoming somewhat of a family member themselves. In fact, close to currently reside in American homes. However, unfortunately, canines can sometimes become out of control and bite their owners, guests, or even random passers-by on the street. Not only are dog bites painful, but they can leave their victims with expensive medical bills and unable to enjoy life as they once did. In this situation, you should seek the help of a Georgetown dog bite attorney as quickly as possible.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Georgetown, call 800-863-5312
DOG BITE STATISTICS
With such a large number of domesticated dogs in America, it might not come as a shock to learn that many dog bites occur each year.
- In the United States, there are approximately 4.5 million dog bites per year, approximately 800,000 of which require medical care of some kind.
- About 80% of dog bites that occur don’t require any medical attention or cause any injuries, however, this means that the remaining 20%, or 1 in 5 dog bites do cause injuries requiring medical attention.
- In 2019, there were seven dog bite fatalities in Texas
Dog Bite in Georgetown lawyers near me 800-863-5312
WHAT TO DO AFTER BEING BITTEN BY A DOG
Many circumstances can lead to dog bites, and a wide range of injuries can result. Though it is impossible to give specific advice as to what you should do in your particular case, there are a few steps that anyone who is bitten by a dog should follow.
1. Seek Medical Attention
Dog bite victims should seek medical care for their injuries as soon as possible after the incident. This is important for a couple of reasons. First, dog bites run a high risk of becoming infected. This means that a bite that results in relatively minor injuries could eventually lead to major medical complications if left untreated. Second, a delay in seeking medical attention for your injuries could be used against you by another party to argue that your injuries are not as severe as you’re claiming.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
2. Document the Incident
Documenting the incident is an important step if you eventually go on to seek compensation for your injuries. This step can include filing a report with the police, collecting the contact information of the dog owner and any potential witnesses, and gathering any medical records and documenting lost wages as a result of not being able to work.
3. Contact a Lawyer
Contact an experienced dog bite attorney as soon after your accident as possible. Filing a lawsuit and seeking compensation entails meeting various deadlines and handling certain communications delicately and with precision. An experienced Texas attorney may be able to guide you through the process and develop a strategy to aid you in your pursuit of maximum compensation.