If you have been injured in a car accident in Denver, you may wonder if you are entitled to compensation for the wages you lost due to your injuries. Recovering compensation for lost wages after a Denver car accident is often possible if another party is responsible for the collision.
Injuries that require medical treatment may lead to missed work while you recover. This can lead to a loss of income and financial strain. Knowing what steps to take and the factors that can affect your car accident claim can maximize your chances of receiving compensation for lost wages.
Keep reading to learn how a Denver car accident lawyer could help you recover your lost income and other damages.
How do I Claim Lost Wages from a Car Accident in Denver?
Claiming lost wages from a car accident in Denver is fairly straightforward since Colorado is an at-fault state. In such cases, accident victims should file a claim with the defendant’s insurance company, which should cover bodily injury and property damage.
However, if the other driver doesn’t have proper coverage, you may file a claim under your own insurance policy if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Alternatively, you may opt to take legal action against the other driver.
When calculating economic damages related to lost wages, an experienced personal injury lawyer can use records such as tax returns or pay stubs to determine an accurate amount based on how much you would have earned while recovering from the crash.
The insurance company or court needs confirmation that you’ve lost income. Various documents can be used when filing an insurance claim or civil lawsuit after an automobile accident.
This documentation could include the following:
- Pay stubs
- W-2s or 1099s
- Tax returns
- Employer statements
- Documents evidencing missed opportunities
In some situations, affidavits from family, friends, or colleagues and expert testimony are also useful for demonstrating lost earning capacity.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-863-5312
Can I Recover Compensation After a Collision that Was Partially My Fault?
Under Colorado’s modified comparative negligence rule, as long as the claimant’s share of fault is less than 50%, they may recover part of their damages from a car accident. Even if they are partially at fault, it is still possible to seek some recovery.
The catch is that their damages award will be reduced according to their percentage of fault. So, if you have $100,000 in damages and are found 20% at fault, your potential claims will max out at $80,000.
On the other hand, if your own fault exceeds 50%, you cannot claim any compensation. Because of this, the other party’s insurance company may try to shift the blame to avoid paying out. Seeking professional legal advice is paramount in these situations.
How Long do I Have to File a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim?
The time limit for filing a personal injury claim varies depending on the state and accident type. In Colorado, plaintiffs injured in an auto accident generally have three years to file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
While this may seem like a long time, it’s important to remember that preparing a legal claim can be complex and sometimes take longer than expected. Because of this, it is best to get started sooner rather than later so that you can acquire any necessary evidence while it is still available.
Barring unique circumstances, the court will dismiss your case if you try to file your lawsuit more than three years after the accident date. In light of Colorado’s statute of limitations, seeking legal advice soon after a collision is wise.
How Can Your Law Firm Help Me Recover Damages Like Lost Income?
Our experienced team of car accident attorneys is dedicated to helping our clients recover the damages they’re entitled to, including lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
Here’s how we can assist you in this process:
- Thorough case evaluation: We’ll begin by conducting a comprehensive evaluation of your case. Our legal team will gather evidence, assess the extent of your injuries, and calculate the income you’ve lost due to time off work.
- Accurate damage assessment: Calculating lost wages is not just about the immediate income you’ve missed; it’s also about the potential earnings you could have had if the accident hadn’t occurred. We’ll work closely with financial experts to accurately assess your past, present, and future financial losses.
- Negotiating with insurers: Insurance companies might offer you a quick settlement that doesn’t adequately address your damages. Our skilled negotiators will engage with them on your behalf, ensuring you’re offered a fair and comprehensive settlement that addresses all aspects of your financial recovery.
- Litigation if necessary: If negotiations don’t result in a satisfactory settlement, we’re prepared to take your case to court. Our experienced trial attorneys will diligently present your case and fight for your right to full compensation for your lost wages and other damages.
- Maximum compensation: Our ultimate goal is to secure the maximum financial compensation possible in your case. We understand that missing work can significantly impact your financial stability, and we’ll work tirelessly to ensure you’re fairly compensated for all the income you’ve lost out on due to the accident.
Example Case Results
The total amount you recover in a settlement or court award will depend on factors like the extent of your injuries, the circumstances of the accident, and how it has affected your life.
That said, here are a few examples of our past case results:
- $1.3 million for a car accident victim who sustained neck injuries
- $1.4 million for a client with multiple broken bones
- $6.5 million for the family of a fatally injured car accident victim
By partnering with Zinda Law Group, you’re entrusting your case to a team with a proven track record of success in auto accident cases.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recover Financially After a Devastating Crash
If you’ve lost wages due to a motor vehicle collision in Denver, you don’t have to face the financial burden alone. Zinda Law Group is here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you rightfully deserve. Unlike many other law firms, we often go to trial to secure favorable results for our clients.
Our Denver car accident lawyers understand the impact that lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering can have on your life and are committed to achieving the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t let a car accident derail your financial stability.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.