Property Damage to Your Car

Last updated on: July 9, 2013

When it comes to driving in the state of Texas, drivers must pay for any car accidents that they cause under the Texas Financial Responsibility Law.  What exactly does this mean?  Under this law, you must buy a minimum amount of insurance to cover any damage that is caused to others – including property damage.  If you cause an accident, then your liability insurance will pay for the repair or replacement of the other driver’s car, but it will not cover the cost to repair or replace your car.  To get your car repaired or replaced when you are at fault, you must buy additional property damage insurance coverage such as:

  • Collision insurance
  • Comprehensive insurance
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist insurance

What is Covered?

If you are involved in an accident and your car is damaged, you will be dependent entirely on the liability limits of your optional policies if you were the cause.   If the accident was caused by the other driver, then the other driver’s insurance policy will be liable for the property damage costs, up to the liability limits of that driver’s insurance policy.  This includes repair or replacement of your car, towing and car rental while your car is being repaired.  If the other driver’s insurance doesn’t cover all of your expenses, you can file a claim against your own policy for the balance of your damages up to the limits of your policy.  This type of claim would be covered by an optional collision, comprehensive, or UM/UIM policy.