Auto Accident Do’s And Don’tsLast updated on: November 4, 2022
Despite safer technology and existing road rules, the United States still sees six million car collisions a year. Unfortunately, technology can’t keep other drivers from acting negligently and running into your car at a high rate of speed, for example. That’s why it’s a good idea to hire an attorney to help you get through the legal process seamlessly and productively.
Before you call Zinda Law Group for your free consultation make sure you follow a quick protocol of Do’s and Don’ts when you’re in a car crash.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you or anyone else has been injured in the wreck, you should immediately call for an ambulance. It’s important to make sure when this happens that a record of the actions is taken down. This leads you to the next step, which is…
- Contact The Police: You’ll want to make sure that an officer of the law is around to assess the situation, write up a police report that you’ll find useful later, and note actions that require citation or further. They’ll also be able to determine whether an ambulance is necessary should you not know.
- Document The Crash: For even the slightest damage to your car, you should take photos with your mobile device. Get all points of contact, including the street, poles, bushes, anything that was in contact with the vehicles involved. This will come in handy later when and if you try to pursue compensation.
- Exchange Information: Get the other driver’s insurance information as soon as possible and make sure you’re aware of any details regarding the driver and their insurance status. You’ll also want to get their license plate number, car registration, a picture of their license, and the car’s make, model, and year.
- Take Detailed Notes: Just like documenting the crash, make sure you’re citing all roadblocks, surrounding landscape, and all hazards on the road.
- Report To Insurance: The final step is to ensure you’ve spoken with your insurance agency. They’ll begin the process of discussing your claim and all future actions.
- Don’t Leave: This one is obvious but crucial. If an officer has been called, wait until they’ve inspected the scene and provided you with all necessary information and documentation.
- Don’t Talk To The Other Driver: Making sure they’re okay upon impact is acceptable, but discussing the accident further could put you in an unwanted predicament.
- Don’t Accept Blame: Some drivers might want to say “I’m sorry” when in an accident, but it’s important that you don’t. Apologizing can be considered admitting fault which you do not want to do after a crash. Even if the other driver is clearly at-fault, don’t place any blame on them at the moment, the evidence will suffice.
- Don’t Record A Statement: When contacting insurance companies, they may record your calls. If they ask your permission, say no. It isn’t unlikely for an insurance company to attempt persuading you or confusing you into accepting blame or even going so far as to consider nobody was to blame. They’ll use these bits as ways to offer lower payouts. Simply call your attorney beforehand.
- Don’t Sign: Insurance companies may also try to get you to sign documentation sooner than later. They know you’re in a vulnerable state and want to move on ASAP and will likely be offering the lowest settlement possible. Speaking with an attorney will give you more of a chance to recoup a larger payment.
- Don’t Wait: The severity of your accident will determine whether or not you’ll get an attorney but it’s likely that no matter how severe, an attorney will help you out of the situation a whole lot better than handling it alone.
- Don’t Panic: It’s important to remain calm after an accident as tensions are surely high and if you’re not careful you may say or do something that could damage your case. Accidents happen, and it’s crucial to stay aware of what steps to take after. Contacting a lawyer will take a huge load off of you as they’ll contact your insurance, the other party’s insurance, and handle all settlements.
NEED HELP? CONTACT ZINDA LAW GROUP TODAY
Car wrecks happen every day. That’s why it’s important to know what you should or shouldn’t do right after a collision. Making simple mistakes can be devastating later. To avoid that, consider calling Zinda Law Group to speak with our experienced auto accident attorneys.
If you or a loved one has been in an auto accident, the attorneys at Zinda Law Group are ready to help guide you through the complicated process. Call now for our free consultations. If we take on your case you’ll be under our No Win No Fee Guarantee. We won’t charge you unless you win. Call 800-863-5312 today.