Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers in College Station, Texas

1308 Reviews

If you have ever been involved in an accident, been injured or had your car damaged, then you know that getting your damages paid by the insurance company is dependent on the limits of liability in your insurance policy – particularly if you were at fault. Of course, if the accident was caused by the other driver, then that driver’s insurance policy paid for any injuries you sustained plus property damage up to the limits of liability declared in their insurance policy.

If the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your injuries or damages, which happens frequently, then your expenses – over and above their policy limits – can be covered by your insurance if you carry Uninsured / Uninsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. The UM/UIM portion of your policy will pay your expenses from an accident if it was caused by an uninsured motorist (someone who did not have any insurance on their vehicle). It will cover an accident where the motorist had insufficient insurance to cover the damage that they caused. It will also cover damage and injuries caused by a hit-and-run driver. Your damages can then be covered by your UM/UIM insurance up to the limits declared in your policy.

In the state of Texas, UM/UIM coverage carries a mandatory $250 deductible that you must pay regardless of who is at fault in the accident. Higher deductibles are available, but the minimum $250 deductible is required state law. Accordingly, all insurance companies in Texas must offer their drivers UM/UIM coverage on their vehicle policies, but it is possible to decline to carry the UM/UIM coverage as long as it is done in writing.

What is Covered Under UM/UIM?

UM/UIM coverage is intended to cover medical bills, lost wages, physical disfigurement, permanent or partial disability, and pain and suffering. UM/UIM coverage will also pay for property damage that resulted from the accident, repairs for your car, rental car expenses, and damage to any items that were in the car. In addition, when UM/UIM is included in your policy, anyone riding in your car is covered by your insurance: this includes you, your family members, any passengers in your car, and people that drive your car as long as they do so with your permission.

Two-Year Statute of Limitations

If you were the victim of an auto accident, you may be entitled to receive money and other non-economic benefits, but it is important to file within the two year statute of limitations. What a two-year statute means is you have only two years from the date of the accident to file a claim to receive compensation for your injuries or damages. Any claims filed after the two years statutory period has run will be barred and you will not be able to collect unless there were special circumstances (you will need to speak with an attorney about these).

Zinda Law Group

If you have been involved in an accident, the attorneys at Zinda Law Group can help you file your claim and get the compensation that you deserve. We are committed to our clients and we treat every case with the utmost care and concern. Our attorneys are knowledgeable about insurance in general and UM/UIM claims in particular, and we will to do everything we can to get your claim paid.