Drug Injury Attorney in Killeen
Drug injuries kill more people in the United States then car accidents. These injuries occur due to medical mistake, over-prescribing drugs, pharmacy error, and even over the counter medications.
Medical Error Related Injuries
Every year, nearly 100,000 people are given the wrong medication as a result of medical error and many of these medical errors result in injury and death. Some of the more common errors include:
- Receiving incorrect drugs
- Receiving improper dosages
- Drug combinations with dangerous interactions
- Failure to identify known drug allergies
- Receiving someone else’s medication
According to the Institute of Medicine, medication errors account for 10% of all medical errors that occur with 70% of those mistakes believed to be preventable. As doctors prescribe more and more drugs, the rate of increase in drug related deaths has increased substantially. Under the Food and Drug Administration’s Adverse Events Reporting System (AERS), drug injuries resulted in over 471,000 injuries identified as serious in 2010. These serious injuries were life-threatening injuries that required hospitalization, often resulting in disability, congenital anomaly and other serious outcomes. In addition to the serious injuries that were reported, an additional 82,724 deaths were attributed to drug injuries from FDA approved drugs.
Other Drug Injuries
Death by drug injury has become an epidemic in our country. Whether by over-prescribing drugs, drug manufacturer error, pharmacy error, or over the counter drugs, drug related injury and death rates have increased dramatically in the United States.
- Over-Prescribing - As doctors become more willing to prescribe pain medications and opiates, drug overdose rates from prescription drugs have tripled in the U.S. since 1990. Patients rely on their doctors to tell them of the risks related to the drugs that they are prescribed, but quite often, doctors fail to take the time to adequately inform their patients of the risks, side effects or life-threatening complications that could occur.
- FDA Approved Drugs - Many drugs on the market have serious side effects – including death – even though FDA testing has been completed and approval given. In fact, nearly 83,000 deaths and 471,000 injuries are attributed to FDA approved drugs every year.
- Pharmacy Errors - Medication errors in the pharmacy are also a major cause of drug injuries. These can result from being given the wrong medication, drug name mix ups, failure to take note of side effects and possible drug interactions, and improperly filled dosages.
- Over the Counter Drugs - Over the counter drugs injure and kill people too. Each year, there are more than 76,000 Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAIDS) related hospitalizations with 7,600 resulting deaths. And Acetaminophen related liver injuries account for well over 56,000 emergency room visits annually in addition to more than 26,000 hospitalizations.
Call Zinda Law Group Today
If you have been injured as a result of a medical, manufacturer or pharmacy error, the attorneys at Zinda Law Group can help you. Our attorneys have many years of experience handling drug injury claims and we are well versed in protecting your rights and collecting evidence to support your claim. We want to see that you receive medical care, lost wages and fair compensation for your injuries, so call us today. The call and the consultation are free. Call (800) 863-5312 to speak with an attorney and let us help you.