With the long hot summers in Texas, families and children often spend time at the lake or a local swimming pool. Though this is a fun way to spend a hot summer day, many people, including kids, are not strong swimmers. This can lead to fatal drowning accidents and cost your loved one’s life.
If you lost someone you love in a Fort Worth drowning accident, our team of personal injury attorneys in Fort Worth, TX, can help you recover compensation for your losses and cope during this difficult time. We offer free case evaluations to determine if you have a valid case.
Risk Factors That Increase Chances of Drowning
As experienced Fort Worth drowning accident lawyers, we understand the devastating consequences that drowning accidents can have on individuals and families. Drowning incidents are often preventable, and recognizing the risk factors contributing to these tragedies is important in promoting water safety. Common risk factors that can increase people of all ages risk of drowning include:
- Lack of swimming ability: Inability to swim or limited swimming skills significantly increase the risk of drowning, especially in deep or unfamiliar waters.
- Absence of adult supervision: Unattended children or inexperienced swimmers without proper adult supervision are at a higher risk of accidents in or around water bodies.
- Alcohol or substance use: Consuming alcohol or using substances while swimming can impair judgment, coordination, and reaction times, increasing the danger of drowning incidents.
- Water conditions: Hazardous water conditions, such as strong currents, rip currents, or dangerous weather, can quickly escalate the risk of drowning accidents.
- Seizure disorders: Individuals with seizure disorders are at higher risk, as seizures can occur unexpectedly in the water, leading to drowning.
- Lack of barriers: Unprotected pools, open water bodies without safety barriers, or inadequate safety measures at aquatic facilities can pose serious drowning hazards.
- Overestimating abilities: Underestimating the challenges of swimming long distances or in challenging conditions can lead to overexertion and drowning.
- Health conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as heart or respiratory problems, may increase the risk of drowning during water activities.
For a free legal consultation with a drowning accidents lawyer serving Fort Worth, call 800-863-5312
Why Do Drowning Incidents Happen in Fort Worth?
Accidents like these can be devastating for any family. In just a moment, you can lose a loved one. In some situations, these accidents may be caused by someone’s negligence.
In some cases, drowning occurs in swimming pools because of poor design or malfunctioning equipment. In public pools, drowning often occurs because the facility is poorly maintained or lifeguards are poorly trained.
Losing a loved one in a drowning accident can devastate a family, but learning that the accident occurred because of someone else’s negligence is especially heartbreaking. In cases like this, families can seek compensation for their losses. Though this can’t bring back their loved one, it can at least provide the financial means so the family can pay any bills resulting from the loss and recover lost financial support.
Drowning Accident in Fort Worth lawyers near me 800-863-5312
How Long Do You Have to File a Drowning Wrongful Death Claim in Texas?
According to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 16.003, you have two years from your loved one’s death date. Our team of personal injury lawyers understands that after you lose a loved one, it can be difficult to want to do anything besides grieve. That’s why our team can help you take the first step, gather the necessary paperwork, and file your claim before the deadline.
There’s usually a strict deadline for wrongful death, but you may have a longer or shorter time to file, depending on your situation’s details. When you meet with our Fort Worth, TX, wrongful death attorneys, we can tell you exactly how long you have to file.
What Damages Can You Recover If You Lost a Loved One to Drowning?
After losing a loved one in a drowning accident in Fort Worth, our drowning accident attorneys can help you recover damages. With our team as your legal representation, you could recover damages such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Unpaid medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of financial support
When we meet with the insurance company, we’ll be ready to defend your case and rights to the damages you qualify for. You can schedule a free consultation with our team to find out what damages you can recover.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Drowning Accident Statistics
Each day in America, approximately 10 people drown. These drowning accidents often occur in residential swimming pools or nearby lakes. Many of the victims are children between the ages of one and four, and drowning is the second leading cause of death for children from one to 14.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, residential pools with a four-sided fence that creates a boundary between the pool area, the house, and the yard decrease a child’s chances of drowning by 83%. In nonfatal accidental drowning, victims often receive severe injuries such as brain damage. In these cases, the victims may have long-term disabilities such as memory loss, loss of basic functions, and learning disabilities.
What Settlements Has Your Law Firm Won for Wrongful Death Cases?
Our law firm has over 15 years of experience litigating wrongful death cases, and we’ve recovered several sufficient settlement amounts for families who lost their loved ones..
In a wrongful death drowning case, we won $1,500,000 for our clients to help them recover financially after losing their loved ones. For a settlement of this size, we were able to obtain this within 14 months of their loved one’s death. With our dedication and experience in personal injury, we work hard to get results, and fast without sacrificing your settlement.
Contact Us If You Lose a Loved One in a Fort Worth, TX, Drowning Accident
Drowning accidents are the most devastating of personal injury accidents. Our drowning accident attorneys in Fort Worth understand what it takes to get the compensation you need through a personal injury claim. Our experience with wrongful death cases has helped several clients obtain the settlement they deserve.
Contact Zinda Law Group today for a free consultation and get started on your Fort Worth, TX, drowning accident case.