Call (800) 863-5312 to speak with Colorado car accident lawyers at Zinda Law Group for free
At Zinda Law Group, we have helped thousands of car accident victims get back on their feet after a wreck in Colorado. A Colorado car accident lawyer can help you pursue the maximum compensation you deserve, and you can focus on your recovery.
Get all your questions answered today. Call Zinda Law Group to receive your free consultation with an experienced Colorado car accident lawyer.
A car accident can be a terrifying and even life-threatening experience. Whether you were in a truck accident, motorcycle accident, drunk driving accident, or pedestrian accident, the wreck can cause physical, emotional, and financial burdens that are hard to bear.
Even if it was not your fault, you can potentially be stuck with injuries and their lingering effects for years. In addition, the post-accident process of dealing with insurance companies can be very complicated and confusing. An experienced car accident attorney can meet with you to discuss your potential case, investigate your claim, and help you pursue maximum compensation.
Free Consults 24/7Send Request Now
When Do I Need a Car Accident Attorney in Colorado?
You may be unsure about whether your accident was serious enough to warrant hiring an attorney. Perhaps your case seems straightforward or obvious.
At Zinda Law Group, we offer free consultations, so you can learn more about your case and whether you need the help of a personal injury lawyer. If any of the following are true in your case, consider speaking with a Colorado car accident attorney as soon as possible:
- You sustained significant or permanent injuries.
- The crash involved a commercial vehicle.
- The crash involved a rideshare driver.
- You are unsure whether a settlement offer you received is fair.
- The insurance company is not answering your questions.
- You are unsure how to file your insurance claim.
- You are unsure how to file your legal claim against the other driver.
- You think the other driver was at fault for the accident.
- You think the other driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- You have had to miss work because of your injuries.
Back and Leg Injuries
Motor Vehicle Collision
Motor Vehicle Collision
Motor Vehicle Collision
What Do I Do if I Get in a Car Accident in Colorado?
Call the Police
After an accident, call the police. The police play an essential role in the legal process because they are the first step in creating official documentation of your car accident.
The police will file an official police report that will serve as critical evidence in your claim. Often, the report includes how the accident occurred, who was involved, and the officer’s initial impressions of who caused the accident. If you fail to call the police, it could be more difficult to prove that the accident occurred and that the defendant caused it.
Do Not Admit Fault
The other driver might be emotional after the accident and you could feel pressured to comfort them by apologizing or accepting some of the fault for the accident. Avoid doing that. The other driver can use that statement against you later and claim that you partially caused the accident.
The driver who was at fault for the accident generally must pay for the damages they caused. In Colorado, you can still be compensated by the driver who caused the accident even if you were partially at fault. As long as you were forty-nine percent or less at fault, you could still recover for your damages.
However, the amount of compensation you could receive is reduced by the amount of fault you must accept. For example, assume you were thirty percent at fault for the accident and the other driver was seventy percent at fault. If you sustained $100,000 worth of damages, you could pursue $70,000 in compensation against the other driver.
While you are still at the scene of the accident, gather relevant evidence that could help demonstrate who was at fault for the accident and the severity of your property damage and injuries. Speak with witnesses who saw the accident occur and gather their contact information. They might be able to help you by describing how they saw the crash happen and potentially appearing at trial as witnesses.
Also, obtain the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. While the reporting officer will gather this information for the police report, you should also keep your own record.
Finally, take pictures of the accident scene. Include pictures of the damage to the vehicles, marks on the road, and your bodily injuries. Also, capture anything unusual about the scene of the accident, such as road construction or poor weather conditions.
Seek Necessary Medical Attention
If you have sustained any injuries whatsoever, seek medical attention immediately. Making sure that you are safe and healthy is the most important thing you can do. You cannot fight for compensation unless you take care of your well-being first.
When you seek compensation for your damages, you need proof of the amount you spent or will spend on treatment for your injury. A visit to the doctor’s office can provide evidence of the type and seriousness of the injury you received. As you attend your doctor’s appointments, keep all bills and relevant documents such as diagnoses, prescriptions, and other treatment plans.
File an Insurance Claim
Contact your insurance company to file an official claim. Complete this step as soon as you are able.
Depending on the state you live in, your insurance might cover your damages, or the other party’s insurance might cover your damages. Colorado is a “fault state,” meaning the insurance of the driver at fault must pay for the accident. Regardless of which is true in your case, you will not receive insurance payments until you file a claim.
Be cautious when speaking with insurance adjusters. If you admit fault for the accident, you might reduce the amount of compensation you could receive. An attorney can help you handle communication with the insurance company.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents can be devastating, but having a qualified attorney on your side can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact a Colorado car accident lawyer at Zinda Law Group today to discuss your case.
An attorney can help you file your claim against the other driver and gather additional evidence by conducting depositions and sending interrogatories to the defendant. Once both parties have collected the evidence they need, your lawyer can try to negotiate a settlement with the defendant’s attorney. If necessary, your car accident lawyer can help take your case to trial.
Common Injuries Resulting From Car Accidents
Auto accidents can range from minor fender-benders to high-speed collisions. Because of this, the range of injuries that result from car accidents can also range from minor to major. A few of the more commonly suffered types of injuries include:
- Head injuries. These include minor concussions all the way up to major internal brain and skull damage that can lead to major complications down the road if left untreated.
- Cuts and bruises. Things like cell phones, kids’ toys, or house keys can fly around and cause serious injuries in a car crash. In addition, accidents that occur at higher speeds often result in broken glass from windshields in windows that can cause deep lacerations in the skin requiring stitches or more serious medical attention to completely address.
- Broken bones. Broken bones can require surgeries and rehab to completely address, and even with these measures, can leave victims with permanent disabilities.
- Spinal injuries. Many victims of car accidents receive some form of spinal injury, such as whiplash, spinal fracture, or a herniated disc.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Colorado Car Accident Case?
As the victim of a personal injury accident, you could be eligible for economic damages, non-economic damages, and possibly punitive damages. Economic damages include the costs and expenses you paid or will paid because of the accident; non-economic damages include the mental and emotional losses you suffered; and punitive damages punish a particularly reckless defendant. More specifically, you could be compensated for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income from time taken off work
- Future lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA BY THE NATIONAL TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (2016-2020)
AWARDED TO JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA (2009, 2011-2012, 2014-2021), JOE CAPUTO (2019-2021), BURGESS WILLIAMS (2019-2020), & NEIL SOLOMON (2020-2021)
AWARDED TO JACK ZINDA (2016-2020), JOE CAPUTO (2016 – 2020) & BURGESS WILLIAMS (2016-2017)
LIFETIME MEMBERS JOHN C. (JACK) ZINDA & JOE CAPUTO
Frequently Asked Questions
What Causes the Most Accidents in Colorado?
With a combination of congested urban areas and snowy mountain passes, there are plenty of perils on the road for Colorado drivers. These dangers, along with others, like distracted driving or driving under the influence, can lead to accidents causing serious injuries, or even death. A few statistics about car accidents in Colorado include:
- According to the Colorado Department of Transportation, there have been 469 fatalities caused by auto accidents in Colorado in 2019.
- Fatalities occur at the highest rate amongst drivers over the age of sixty-five—181 of the 469 total fatalities in 2019 have fallen into this category.
- Some of the most dangerous roads in Colorado are treacherous mountain passes like Red Mountain Pass, Coal Bank Pass, and Wolf Creek Pass.
What Is the Average Car Accident Settlement in Colorado?
Because each case is different, it is difficult to try to give an average. The settlement amount will depend on the type of injury you received, the cost of damages you incurred, and whether you were partially at fault for the accident. Call Zinda Law Group for a free consultation.
How Long Do Most Car Accident Settlements in Colorado Take?
A car accident case can take from a few months to a few years to settle in Colorado. The length of time varies with the complexity of your case and the other party’s willingness to settle.
Speak to an Experienced Colorado Car Accident Lawyer
A Colorado car accident attorney can help you at every stage of litigation, from the initial consultation to accepting a settlement or taking your case to trial. Do not put off your settlement pursuit any longer. Call an experienced car accident lawyer at Zinda Law Group today.
We can schedule your free consultation at 888-588-5314. If you hire one of our attorneys, you can benefit from our No Win, No Fee Guarantee, meaning that you do not pay unless we win your case for you.
We’ve helped Colorado clients with car accidents in the following cities and more:
- Aurora Car Accident Lawyers
- Boulder Car Accident Lawyers
- Colorado Springs Car Accident Lawyers
- Denver Car Accident Lawyers
- Durango Car Accident Lawyers
- Fort Collins Car Accident Lawyers
- Greeley Car Accident Lawyers
- Highlands Ranch Car Accident Lawyers
- Longmont Car Accident Lawyers
- Arvada Car Accident Lawyers
- Grand Junction Car Accident Lawyers
- Pueblo Car Accident Lawyers
- Lakewood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Parker Personal Injury Lawyers
- Thornton Personal Injury Lawyers
- Westminster Personal Injury Lawyers
- Wheat Ridge